lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP Process Model confusion:

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP Process Model confusion:
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:58:36 +0000

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 10:35 -0800, sandy tewari wrote:
> So what i understand is that LWIP has a process model, we can run
> TCP/IP Stack on one process and LWIP Application on another.But what i
> understand is we just fork a thread, not a process,
>
> i mean i do this in sys_arch.c :
> sys_thread_new(){
> pthread_create;
> }
>
> can i exec a process instead of a thread? and how will syncronization
> work b/w processes, if they aren't threads.

Yes, you could execute a process instead of a thread.  However you would
then, as you realise, have to re-write the other parts of sys_arch.c to
use inter-process communication, rather than the simple inter-thread
communication that they do now.  The rest of lwIP has been written not
to know or care how communication is done between the threads/processes,
so you can use whatever method you like for synchronisation.

Kieran