lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] How to find remote MAC address from remote IP address

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] How to find remote MAC address from remote IP address
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:12:06 +1300

ARP will only work if the remote IP address is on the same subnet and your network interface is Ethernet or similar (e.g. WiFi).

If the remote IP address might be further afield than the same LAN (i.e. there is a router between you and the remote IP address) then you can't find its MAC address. The same applies if your network interface is PPP, which doesn't use MAC addresses at all.

Trying to use the MAC address as authentication will limit you to a connection within the same LAN. If that is sufficient, then ARP is the correct solution, and LWIP should already have the MAC address in its ARP cache, because it will have used it to establish the TCP connection.