lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP memory settings

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP memory settings
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:31:51 +0200

> I need confirmation about the lwIP memory use.
>
> The lwIP uses two areas of memory:
> - one dedicated to the buffers pbuf and defined by :
> PBUF_POOL_SIZE x PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE
> - and one area for the structures (tcp_pcb, udp_pcb) and other
> variables which are dynamically allocated, and this area is defined
> by: the MEM_SIZE

That's not all (and partly not correct):
- There are 3 types of pbufs: REF/ROM, RAM and POOL. PBUF_POOL_SIZE *
PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE only refers to type POOL.
- RAM pbufs are allocated in the memory defined by MEM_SIZE (this memory is not
used much aside from RAM pbufs) - this is the *heap* and it is allocated as
mem_memory.
- REF/ROM pbufs as well as pcbs and some other stuff is allocated from
dedicated pools per structure type. The amount of structures is defined by the
various MEMP_NUM_ defines. Together, this memory is allocated as memp_memory
and it *includes* the pbuf POOL.

However, if you define MEMP_MEM_MALLOC to 1 in your lwipopts.h, *every* piece
of dynamically allocated memory will come from the heap (the size of which is
defined by MEM_SIZE).

Simon