lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP/WIN32 UDP performance (throughtput)

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP/WIN32 UDP performance (throughtput)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:04:10 -0500

Stas,

Res, RAW API and NO_SYS=1.  You don’t need threads with RAW API if you have a “big loop” type of program that spins processing lwIP timers and other system events.

Single threaded?  Yes and no I guess.  We use a cooperative RTOS so there are many tasks, but one task handles Ethernet, lwIP and its callbacks.  The other threads (tasks) do send TCP data but being cooperative in nature there is never a worry as to when they do need to send something.  Being mostly event driven, lwIP’s task gets 99%-interrupt processing time of CPU time so there is always all the bandwidth we need.  This is a real-time system and can push 50-60MB/S (TCP) and at this speed 30% of the processor is then processing interrupts (not Ethernet interrupts – they are polled).

Bill