lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwip IPv6 setup (was Re: Stable release with IPv6 suppo

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwip IPv6 setup (was Re: Stable release with IPv6 support)
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 22:10:27 +0100

Please, write mails to the list, not to private addresses. Other people might want to read this too. Plus I can't see why I'm on CC.

Simon

Guillaume Fortain wrote:
Dear Mister Tölke,

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

The minimum "Maximal Transferable Unit" is 1280 octets. That means that
every IPv6-Device must be capable of receiving a packet of 1280 octets *or
less*.

A packet of 300 Byte is smaller than the MTU and as such legal.
I perfectly agree and this the way that 6LoWPAN is pursuing :

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4944

"Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 802.15.4 Networks

  The MTU size for IPv6 packets over IEEE 802.15.4 is 1280 octets.
However, a full IPv6 packet does not fit in an IEEE 802.15.4 frame."

However, from my point of view, 6LoWPAN is not the way to go, to not
say that it is simply no sense, and I give a detailed overview of my
arguments in the IETF  thread entitled "[Lwip] Device Classification"
:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lwip/current/msg00155.html

Especially, to have more informations about this mailing-list, I would
greatly appreciate to invite you to a further reading of the following
link :

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lwig/charter/

"Light-Weight Implementation Guidance (lwig)"

Best Regards,

--
Guillaume FORTAINE
address@hidden

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Philipp Tölke