lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Opinions on using lwIP for making application GPRS-chip

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Opinions on using lwIP for making application GPRS-chipset-agnostic
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 11:29:29 -0300

> > and a
> > layer-2 interface (netif) for the other ones.
> > This way, your app is always the same and you only change code for what
> > is below layer-3. You'll have to write your own netif, though.
> > lwIP is a TCP/IP stack which communicates to "the outside world" via
> > interfaces called "netif". Basically you can run it on top of everything
> > where you can write a netif for.

> I don't understand why Sergio is proposing that, lwIP embeds a full
> featured PPP stack and all GPRS modems I know are able to do PPP.

Yes, same here, all modules I know are TCP/IP capable and PPP capable.
The OP mentioned some modules/chipsets which are not TCP/IP capable and
I assumed they weren't PPP capable also.
As long as the chipset/module supports PPP, you rule and dinner's ready.
Otherwise, long way to walk on the netif road.