lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] routing over PPP using lwip

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] routing over PPP using lwip
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 12:11:44 +0100

Hi Ajay,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 03:04:15PM +0530, address@hidden wrote:
> > Hi Ajay,
> >
> > This is a bit hard to answer an open question like yours.
> >
> > Anyway, last time I tried, IP forwarding between a PPP session
> > (whatever the low level protocol used) and an Ethernet interface
> > works smoothly. However, you have to use the Git head, at least IP
> > forwarding between PPPoS and Ethernet is broken in the 1.4.1 release
> > (I don't know for PPPoE).
>
> Thanks for the response. I am using GIT head right now not using 1.4.1
> release. I just wanted to know is there any hook I need to define to
> make sure packet forwarding works? Which interface I need to set as
> default (I tried with PPP as default).
>
> On PC side my adapter settings are:
> IP: 192.168.37.1
> GW: 192.168.37.2
> Mask: 255.255.255.0
>
> On LwIP Ethernet:
> IP+GW: 192.168.37.2
> Mask: 192.168.37.2
>
> PPP: I get PPPos connect up and working smoothly, I tested DNS and
> ping to google.com which works fine
>
> But when I try to ping from my PC to google.com or even a static IP
> say 8.8.8.8 It does not work. Please tell me what more information I
> can provide so that it becomes easy for you to answer. If any logs are
> needed, I will provide them too just let me know what Debug flags to
> enable.

What you are looking for is a NAT[1] implementation, not basic IP
routing[2], lwIP does not provide NAT at all. There used to be a basic
NAT feature merged in, but it was removed because the one who proposed
the patch wasn't allowed to do so.

NAT, other than basic NAT support, is a huge task. Especially for tricky
protocols (FTP, SIP/RTP, …) which require well designed helpers. I'm not
sure it qualify as being added in a lightweight stack.

Sylvain

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_forwarding