lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] elegant way to detect network connection

From: Noam Weissman
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] elegant way to detect network connection
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 15:29:45 +0000

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for the reply. Let me explain it better.

HDBaseT is a protocol developed by Valens LTD. This protocol is used mainly for
extenders. There is
an RX chip and a TX chip. The protocol is transferring video, audio, USB,
RS232, IR and ETH over CAT5/6 cables !.

As HDMI or other video connections are limited in cable length. If you go above
5-10m cables are very
expensive and without active cables you have a problem getting longer cables.
HDBT is designed for 100M :-)

Anyway, HDBT devices use a regular CAT5/6 ETH cable to transfer all the above
with one cable and with minimum
loos in video quality.

What is my problem?. I am working on systems that have one or more HDBT TX or
RX. An average system
has an embedded ETH switch that has one or more outputs that are connected to
an HDBT chip (local).

This chip is transferring the ETH data to the remote chip over CAT5 cable.

There is indication for HDBT link (between HDBT TX <> RX) but there is no
indication on remote side ETH link.

The local system with the embedded ETH switch has an internal micro that runs
HTTP server etc... Normally
the device will be connected to the network. That means that the system itself
has an ETH connector connected
to the network and on the other end (internal) it is connected to one of the
embedded ETH switch ports. The
micro has access to this port and to the local ETH switch.

Our client is asking that if we connect the remote ETH side (over HDBT) to a
router or network to be able
get a dynamic address and operate the same as if we connected the local ETH
system port to the network.

Without some indication if there is an ETH link on remote side I cannot do
that.

What we did in one system is that we added code to the micro on the remote HDBT
end to detect ETH link.
ETH link status was sent as a command over the serial connection that the HDBT
transfers as well.

I am wondering if there is an elegant way of doing it without sending an
explicit status to the local system
>From the remote side.

I hope now it is clear :-)

BR,