lwip-users

[lwip-users] ESP8266 as WiFi to PPP Bridge

From: Wormsley, Jeffrey (Jeff)
Subject: [lwip-users] ESP8266 as WiFi to PPP Bridge
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 18:25:48 +0000

Is it possible to use an ESP8266 as a WiFi to PPP bridge?

I have a device whose hardware is fixed, but is Linux based and has LAN and two serial ports, no USB host.  I need to have a very inexpensive way to get this device onto a WiFi network, so an Ethernet to WiFi bridge is out of the question (unless someone knows where I can get one for under $5).

I know LWIP is available for the device, although it is my understanding it is an older version and somewhat modified.

My thought was to use an ESP8266 module as a PPP server, use the Linux PPP client on the device, and use the ESP8266 as a bridge.

Or, is it possible to go the other way and use the ESP8266 as the client and the Linux device as the server?

I’m not worried about speed, won’t be streaming any videos or anything like that.

Thanks,

  Jeff.