lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Slow HTTP put request

From: jochen
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Slow HTTP put request
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 13:19:23 +0200

I see the following solution: - server sends reply to expect/continue and then... well, frankly don't know exactly what happens then and how much overhead this means [..]

I see 2 solutions: implement a HTTP 1.1 server that keeps to the
specification (I'll have to do that for the lwIP httpd, too) or implement a HTTP 1.0 server that keeps to the 1.0 specification (in which case the
client should not depend on the Expect header, I guess).

Regarding the expect/continue overhead, according to wireshark trace below it is about 30ms extra - way to much for what I intended to use PUT (write a couple of bytes to twi interface).

I don't know what it means to me to implement a full fashioned HTTP 1.1 compatible server. There are http implementations running on systems with a couple of bytes of ram and rom. I this means extra code, CPU time and more testing I'd like to keep to HTTP 1.0.

I always thought there is a mechanism to tell the client that my server supports HTTP 1.0 only and this should prevent the client from asking me things I do no support. Am I wrong ?