lwip-users

[lwip-users] Ethernet frames with extra padding bytes

From: Keith Rubow
Subject: [lwip-users] Ethernet frames with extra padding bytes
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 12:11:14 -0700

I am trying to use LWIP 2.0.3 using a Wiznet ethernet module in MAC raw mode as my ethernet interface. It's a long story. The Wiznet modult implements the entire TCP/IP stack, but has a bug with missing ARP requests. I can fix it in software using LWIP by putting the Wiznet module into MAC raw mode so it acts as just an ethernet interface sending and receiving raw ethernet frames, and using LWIP to do everything else.

The problem is that the Wiznet module seems to pad out all ethernet frames to a minimum length of 64 bytes. For example, a received ARP request is only 42 bytes long (confirmed my Wireshark), but the Wiznet module gives me a frame of 64 bytes. There are an extra 22 bytes appended to the end of the frame, and the extra bytes are not all zero.

LWIP does not seem to be working. Will these extra non-zero padding bytes cause problems with LWIP?

Note that a different Wiznet module padds out all frames to 60 bytes minimum, but is padding with all zero bytes. This module is working fine with LWIP.

Keith Rubow