lwip-users

[lwip-users] Getting Raw ARP Packets

From: David M. Zar
Subject: [lwip-users] Getting Raw ARP Packets
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 11:26:09 -0500

I'm somewhat new to using LWIP (version 2.0.3) and am making great progress with my application which will include processing raw IP packets. One problem is that we also need to accept and pass on ARP packets. I don't see an easy way to do this without modifying code in etharp.c. Would this be the accepted method?

Some details... I am creating an application where my device will be a "bump-on-the-wire." My device will not have an IP address and will accept UDP/TCP packets (in raw mode) from the network and pass them on to a host connected at the other side. Likewise, I will accept UDP/TCP from the host and pass them on to the network side. I can do that. But I also need to handle ARP. When an ARP packet shows up from the network side, I need to pass it on to the host who will then respond. That response will then need to go back to the network.

Optionally, I could simply know the appropriate ARP response to send for my host and send it as soon as I see an ARP packet with my host's IP address, but that's a minor difference. I still need to accept ARP packets and process them, myself, and not expect the LWIP stack to do so.

Thanks for any insights/suggestions you may have.

Dave