lwip-users

[lwip-users] DNS look-up with domain search

From: Craig McQueen
Subject: [lwip-users] DNS look-up with domain search
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:26:13 +0000

I'm interested in doing DNS look-ups that possibly include a domain search list.

I'm successfully using LWIP_HOOK_DHCP_APPEND_OPTIONS() and
LWIP_HOOK_DHCP_PARSE_OPTION() to get a domain from DHCP via DHCP option 15.

Now I'm interested in possibly using that as a search domain. So if doing a
look-up for "server", and DHCP option 15 specifies domain "example.com", then
DNS could do a search for "server.example.com". But not if the original look-up
name includes a trailing dot. If the original name includes a trailing dot,
e.g. "server.com.", then it wouldn't try "server.com.example.com".

Note that the current functions in dns.c will fail a DNS look-up given a string
that ends with a trailing dot. Technically is this correct or incorrect? See
the following which discusses trailing dots in domain names:
http://www.dns-sd.org/trailingdotsindomainnames.html

--
Craig McQueen