lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] LWIP problems

From: Patrick Klos
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] LWIP problems
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 21:43:55 -0400

On 6/22/2020 2:31 PM, Trampas Stern wrote:
I got a wireshark dump from customer and it looks like there is a lot of ARP messages on their network.

Does the ARP broadcast consume a connection?

No.  ARPs do not consume a [TCP] connection.

In the image below our device is 10.2.65.250 and it is looking like we are getting duplicate requests (line 116,129)  from the client.
image.png

It looks like packet 116 is a resend of packet 115, and then packet 117 is the ACK for packet 116.

Packet 129 is a resend of packet 112, and then packet 130 is the SYN-ACK for that [second] connection.

In both cases, your device seems to be losing a packet and recovering after the resend?

How many simultaneous connections does your device support?

The network has lots of ARP requests...
image.png

It appears that a device is asking for 10.2.65.1, which might be a mistake as the gateway is 10.2.64.1 with  netmask of 255.255.254.0

Do you have any idea what devices have the "MRVCommu" OUI in their MAC addresses?  Maybe those devices are misconfigured?

I am wondering if the ARP traffic is overwhelming lwip...

I haven't had a chance to review the ARP code to see if getting overwhelmed would affect the TCP connections?  Regardless, there doesn't appear to be a high enough rate of ARPs to be troublesome.  Many of them are 1 second or more apart.

Please share any other clues and maybe we can find something...

Patrick