lwip-users

[lwip-users] PPP shared Internet

From: Richard Bailey
Subject: [lwip-users] PPP shared Internet
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 11:53:32 +0000

Hi,

I am working on an IoT solution. I’ve bumped into an issue around using LWIP.

If I describe the scenario and what I’m trying to achieve, perhaps you can tell me if what I’m trying to do is in theory is possible or if I need to approach it another way.

It has a main NXP PCB, with a Microsoft Azure Sphere, secure Wi-Fi module attached.

The Azure Sphere is a bit of a black box, but it handles communication to Microsoft’s Azure Servers over Wi-Fi.

It can also work over Ethernet, but it will not have a physical Ethernet Port on the device.

There will be scenarios where Wi-Fi is not an option, so we need a backup solution.

The main NXP PCB has a BG95 modem.

It has an internal circuit-based Ethernet connection between the NXP and the Azure Sphere module.

The plan is for the Azure Sphere module to communicate out over the BG95 modem via the internal Ethernet.

The main NXP PCB is running FreeRtos, with LWIP 2.1.3.

I was hoping to simply set up two NetIf adaptors:

  • PPPOS for the modem, with the Internet connection
  • Ethernet.

Then enable IP_FORWARD.

Would that approach work allowing the Azure Sphere to communicate with the outside world, over the internal Ethernet and forwarding to the PPP modem (in both directions)?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Richard.

The information contained in this communication, and any attachments, may be confidential and/or privileged. It is intended only for the use of the named recipient.

If you are not the intended recipient please contact us.
Tel: +44 (0)1256 768070
Fax: +44 (0)1256 760718
Email: postmaster@sti-limited.com.

In such an event you should not access any attachments, nor should you disclose the contents of this communication or any attachments to any other person, nor copy, print, store or use the same in any manner whatsoever.

Thank you for your co-operation.