lwip-users

[lwip-users] Performance drop due port numbers reused too fast

From: Jochen Strohbeck
Subject: [lwip-users] Performance drop due port numbers reused too fast
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 18:51:43 +0200

Hello,

from time to time I experience a significant network performance drop.
I'm running an lwip http 1.0 server on SAME70/FreeRTOS and do http
requests on Windows or Linux.

In the wireshark trace I see ACK+RST after a client SYN in case a port
number is used in the request which has been already used a few
milliseconds before.

I wonder why http clients running on Windows or Linux are re-using port
numbers that fast. Shouldn't the OS wait for at least MSL before
re-using ports?

I guess this can be omitted using persistent connections. Is this the
only remedy to that problem?

Thanks,
Jochen