lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] lynx externals (was :Re: Saving bookmars during one session -

From: Fadi Barbàra
Subject: [Lynx-dev] lynx externals (was :Re: Saving bookmars during one session - Questions about using multiple bookmarks sessions)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 08:12:13 +0100

Hi Ondrej,

> thanks for replying. Saving bookmarks into different files should be fine.
> Also, saving when pressing 'a' works fine to me.
> ..which seems as presets or commands for specific links, so if I may bother,
> how am I supposed to use these externals in conjuction with bookmarks? What
> is the purpose of these externals, i.e. opening link in native window
> browser such as Mozilla?

Yes you are completely right. Other things you can do is pass the link
to whatever script you like. Configuration of externals is in
~/.lynx/external by defafult.

For reference, here's mine:

```~/.lynx/external
EXTERNAL:http:echo -n %s> $HOME/.clipboard:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:append-clipboard.sh %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:magnet:echo -n %s|xclip -i:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:site-dl %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:LD_PRELOAD= mpv %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:mpv --no-video %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:git clone %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:LD_PRELOAD= brave %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:http:archive %s:TRUE

EXTERNAL:gopher:echo -n %s> $HOME/.clipboard:TRUE
EXTERNAL:gopher:wget %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:gopher:curl %s|mpv -:TRUE

EXTERNAL:file:lynx -dump %s|urlview:TRUE
EXTERNAL:file:append-clipboard.sh %s:TRUE
EXTERNAL:file:curl %s|tlynx -stdin:TRUE
```

You see the second field is the name of the protocol
(http/gopher/file/...) (your preset used the external for file) and the
third is the script. %s means the link.  If you press `.` the link is
the one you are selecting, if you press `,` the link is the page you are
in. By doing this, lynx can be you primary browser becasue you can see
video on it (by passing the link to the mpv external), clone git
repositories, etc. If something is too much jasvascript based you can
open the link in an external browser as you suggested (see the `brave`
external).

Hope it is clear.

Fadi