lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx and Wordpress?

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx and Wordpress?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 17:15:14 +0000

On 2022-12-30 23:42, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> While I generally have few issues accessing WordPress created
> sites, at least the one I have encountered, that does not necessarily
> translate to the tool itself.

If I understand correctly, I believe you're talking about the
accessibility of the admin/authoring portions of Wordpress which
is independent of the accessibility of the resulting site published
using Wordpress.

> Anyone successfully use WordPress with Lynx?

It's been a while since I've played with an install.  If the
admin/authoring panel isn't accessible from lynx (which might well
be the case since there was a major shift a while back in the
content-editor widget, changing from a more straightforward text
entry box to a rich-edit box), there's "wp-cli" (https://wp-cli.org/)
utility which lets you manage just about every aspect of a Wordpress
install from the command-line, including posting and comment
management.

That said, unless I *have* to use Wordpress for something, I generally
prefer using a static site generator (SSG) to maintain my personal
sites.  I use a combination of Nikola (https://getnikola.com/) and
a custom SSG that I wrote for my own uses depending on which site.
But there are lots of others like Hugo or Jekyll.  Big advantages
include:

- everything is local

- the generation process just creates an "output/" folder that you
can copy up to your server however you want (whether FTP, rsync,
scp, or some web GUI)

- there's nothing dynamic on the server that could be exploited/hacked
since it's all just text files

- the resulting pages are FAST even on a ridiculously underpowered
VPS instance or shared-hosting box

Anyways, just a collection of my random thoughts & ramblings.

-tim