m17n-list

Re: new input method - how to include?

From: Parag Nemade
Subject: Re: new input method - how to include?
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 16:27:45 +0530

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 2:50 PM Ajith R <ajithramayyan@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to incorporate a new input method for Malayalam that I designed into
> the ibus system in my computer. However, I couldn't make the ibus to
> recognise it. Assuming that the mim file I made might have errors, I tried to
> copy one existing mim file (installed by default with ibus) and renaming it
> to see if it is recognised by ibus. Even that is not recognised by ibus. So,
> I am assuming that the database which ibus system maintains needs to be
> informed of a new mim file somehow. I couldn't find any documentation as to
> how achieve this. Please advise me what I should do to 'refresh' ibus
> database.
>
> My system:  runs XFCE on debian 10 buster.
>
> What I have tried till now:
>
> copied /usr/share/m17n/ml-remington.mim as ml-pnC.mim
> verified that /usr/share/m17n/ml-pnC.mim  is present
> verified that the owner is root and that the permissions are rw-r--r--, same
> as ml-remington.mim
> copied /usr/share/m17n/icons/ml-remington.mim as ml-pnC.png
> verified that the owner is root and that the permissions are rw-r--r--, same
> as ml-remington.png
>
> I tried restarting ibus, re-login, restarting all without any effect.
>
> I used the task manager to shutdown ibus daemon as mentioned at
> https://askubuntu.com/q/656156/423101.
>
> I tried restarting ibus, re-login, restarting again, all without any effect.
>
> What am I missing or is this a bug?

Do not forget to also rename layout name inside mim file. You copied
the existing mim file to a new name but now ibus sees the same name
layout twice. So even if you restart ibus, you will still see the same
layout entry. Just use the same name inside the mim file and you can
see a new layout available to use :)

Regards,
Parag