m17n-list

Re: New layout for Newa

From: Santosh Pradhan
Subject: Re: New layout for Newa
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 14:43:52 +0545

Dear K Handa,
Sorry for the confusion regarding comments. I used the layout ne-trad-ttf as a starting point for this layout and some references remained, please find cleaned up mim attached.

I have these lines in the attached file
(input-method new newa-traditional)

(title "𑐎 newa-traditional")

new - language code for Nepal Bhasa
newa-traditional - name of this layout

I hope this is okay.

Regarding newa-prachalit-trad-ttf I was not able to find that in the attached file, may be you downloaded it from the blog link I shared (?) I will upload the revised version soon.

Thanks
Santosh

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 5:18 AM handa <handa@gnu.org> wrote:
Hi,

> The script is called Prachalit
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pracalit_script> which has been assigned the
> Newa block in unicode. This script is used for the language Nepal Bhasa aka
> Newa Bhaye <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newar_language> spoken by Newar
> diaspora in Nepal.

I see, thank you.

> I named the layout newa-traditional, newa to match Newa unicode block
> and traditional as it is similar to nepali traditional layout. Please
> suggest if there is any convention on naming layouts.

This code in your input method:
    (input-method ne newa-prachalit-trad-ttf)
means that the input method is for "ne (nepali)" language and the
input-method name is "newa-prachalit-trad-ttf".

If it is for the language "newa" and the layout is similar to "nepali
traditional layout",  I think it is better that the above line is:
    (input-method newa napali-traditional)

And one more thing I don't understand is this:
(description "Newa Prachalit script input method with ttf-fonts like layout..")
How ttf-font and keyboard layout relates?

---
K. Handa
handa@gnu.org