make-w32

VPATH and Target Specific Rules

From: Roko Kruze
Subject: VPATH and Target Specific Rules
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:45:41 -0700

Hello,

I'm using make on a windows xp machine.  Everything works great except for the fact that I want to be able to create a release and a debug version of my project.  In order to do this I want to change my VPATH to point to either "Release" or "Debug".

However I can't get this to work.  I do something similar to this.

all:  TARGET := Release

all:  VPATH = $(TARGET)

and have tried

VPATH = $(TARGET)

all:  TARGET := Release

but this doesn't work.  I can list the two directories in VPATH to begin with, but I don't any chance of linking to debug objects when I want to be linking to release objects.

Any help on this would be great. Thank you in advance.

-Roko