make-w32

Re: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenghtlimitations

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenghtlimitations
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:14:17 -0400

If running in a DOS shell,
Increase environment space.

all command line text is stored in an environment string.
If the environment space is too small (say 2048 bytes) then
the make can easily overflow the space with a very very long
command line.  say a compile command that has many complete
paths to include files and the like.

Increasing the environment space is only temporary fix.
eventually you will hit the limit and make will fail in
an unknown but repeatable way.

The failure is not apparent since the make commands may be hidden
in a bash or csh unix shell emulator running on win32 platform.

Real answer is to use true bash, csh etc. unix shell
or switch to winXP

address@hidden