make-w32

Re: Build macro not to search for sh.exe or bash.exe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build macro not to search for sh.exe or bash.exe
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:16:40 +0200

> From: "David Baird" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:49:13 +0300
>
> > IMHO, that's a bug: if the Makefile sets SHELL, Make should use it
> > (except that it should perhaps look for the shell's binary along the
> > PATH, even if Makefile specifies "SHELL = /bin/sh").  That's what the
> > MS-DOS port does, and since the introduction of that feature, I've
> > never heard any complaints about this behavior.
>
> Well, its a bug, and I am complaining about it, and I gave a very
> reasonable and easy solution. Have you tested it?

No, I didn't test it.  I don't use the Windows port of Make; I was
merely giving you (and others who read this list) feedback about the
correct (IMHO) way to solve the problem.

> And it begs the question, what was the reasoning behind the idea that if
> SHELL is not defined, and sh.exe is in my PATH, make should use it
> instead of CMD.EXE?

I don't know, but my guess is that whoever did that worked mostly with
Makefile's which came from Unix but did not have a SHELL=/bin/sh line
in them.

I think that was a wrong decision.