make-w32

Re: Schedule for GNU make 3.81

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Schedule for GNU make 3.81
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:58:19 -0500

%% "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:21:31 -0500
  >> Cc: "Earnie Boyd" <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
  >> address@hidden
  >> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
  >>
  >> The next question becomes, does the current implementation of $(wildcard
  >> ...) already return "/", or does it use "\"?

  ez> Yes, it does: glob.c always appends '/' to the partial file name
  ez> after it calls `readdir'.  (This is based on code inspection; I
  ez> don't have a Windows binary of Make where I'm typing this, so I
  ez> might be wrong.  The DJGPP port's $wildcard _certainly_ returns file
  ez> names with forward slashes.)

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

We were talking about make automatically translating "\" to "/" in
pathnames.  My question was, is this needed for functions like wildcard,
glob, etc.  or do they already return all directory separators as "/"
anyway?