make-w32

Re: Savannah W32 patches... are any OK?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Savannah W32 patches... are any OK?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:16:35 +0200

> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:14:58 -0500
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>   bk> The environment variable:
>
>   bk>   OS=Windows_NT
>
>   bk> is what you're looking for.
>
> I'm not sure relying on an environment variable for something as basic
> as this is the best way to go

Indeed, I'd advise against it as well.

I'm sure there's a Windows system call to find the version of the OS.
I think it's better to use that, since cmd.exe becomes smarter and
feature-rich with every new version of Windows (something that for
some reason Microsoft doesn't bother advertising well enough, and so
many people simply don't know about the new features).