make-w32

Re: Make CVS (Win32) improperly leaves batch files with -n

From: J. David Bryan
Subject: Re: Make CVS (Win32) improperly leaves batch files with -n
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:54:59 -0500

On 14 Feb 2006 at 22:09, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Thanks, I will look into fixing this.

Much appreciated.

> I think the problem is even earlier: why does Make invoke the shell
> for this simple Makefile?

I believe because "echo" is listed in "sh_cmds_dos" (job.c).

> If Make does need to invoke the shell, the Windows port always forces
> use of batch files with cmd.exe (sh.exe is invoked as on Unix, by
> default).  I'm guessing that this is because the quoting rules are very
> different on Windows, and because Windows 9x has a different (more
> stupid) shell....

Would it be reasonable to condition this on whether "command.com" or
"cmd.exe" is the shell?  Or might batch file usage incur such a small time
penalty, as a percentage of overall make time, that it isn't worth the
effort?

                                      -- Dave