make-w32

Re: make does not stop on error

From: grischka
Subject: Re: make does not stop on error
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 17:54:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> I added a
> fragment to explicitly stop the main thread while the signal handler
> runs, to emulate the Posix behavior, without which the two threads
> will step on each others' toes.

Works fine here. I tried up to -j9, no problems so far.

> If we want to consider the Windows 9x case, then replacing the batch
> file with "$COMSPEC /c" will not solve the problem, since the Windows
> shell on those systems _always_ returns a zero exit status, whether it
> runs a batch file or other commands/programs.

Well, you are right. Also, now that I checked again I actually found
no difference in user stop behaviour between batch and comspec /c,
There is a difference from shell driven to 'fast' commands, but it
works with both, provided SIGINT is correctly sent.

I was going to think I dont really care for exitcodes from shell
commands like 'echo' or 'type', not even that I would use these.
Maybe just 'del' for 'clean:' targets to keep makefiles working
for people who dont have 'rm'.

One thing that actually helped a lot was that I removed the double
quotes from the dos special chars. Don't know why these are there.
Less shell, less problems per se. May be a suggestion.

Nonetheless, feel free to checkout the 'no batch patch'. I still
think batch files are 'klutzy'.

Also what I vote for is to remove the dependency of $(SHELL) on
the PATH setting on the user's computer.

--- grischka