maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] [task #10116] Include geo-coordinates inside PNG file

From: David Mentré
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] [task #10116] Include geo-coordinates inside PNG file
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:32:13 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, task #10116 (project maposmatic):

>From Pekka Sarkola:

"""
I think best term for this request is "Georeferenced image files (PNG,
PDF)".

I presume there is not standard way to include coordinates inside PNG-files.
World files are common way to georefence raster files. Here is few links:

    * http://mapserver.org/input/raster.html#georeference-with-world-files
    *
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=World_files_for_raster_datasets

I think also Map Projection information will be valuable. If you can also add
projection file with your map produtcs, that will also very valuable. This
reference is for shapefiles, but I presume it works also with raster files:

    * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile

BTW, also following information should be on the maps (IMHO):

    * Map projection: this information should be also on the map
    * WGS 84 / MGRS coordinates grids: maybe there is some use of these also.
At least if you are using GPS devices to collect information / navigate
    * Georeferenced PDF: I'm not sure if you tools support these. But it will
very convient, if PDFs will be georeferenced and layered. This can be very big
job.
"""

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?10116>

  Message posté via/par Savannah