maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] Re: [OSM-dev] Multilingual Maps Overlays

From: Peter Körner
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: [OSM-dev] Multilingual Maps Overlays
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:40:59 +0200

Thomas Petazzoni schrieb:
Hello Peter,

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:31:33 +0200
Peter Körner <address@hidden> wrote:

In a attempt to reactivate the Multilingual Maps Project, I started a testcase with language overlays instead of complete language
maps. This should save a lot of RAM (loading all 270+ map styles took
~16GB of Memory only for renderd).

It's still rendering the low-zoom tiles so it is very slow. I also
activated only three language overlays to test the setup but the other
stlye-files are already in place and will be activated one after another.

So feel free to play around and give comments:
http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/

Nice!

Did you modify osm2pgsql in order to import multiple name:XX tags into
the PostGIS database ? How is the PostGIS database layout modified ?
I'm using the --hstore option of the recent osm2pgsql source. A german tutorial on how to set things up is in the wiki, the commands can help you:
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:HowtoMinutelyHstore>

I'm working on the MapOSMatic project, and we receive requests from
people willing to render maps with street names in different languages.
Unfortunately, as far as I understood, for the moment, only the main
"name" tag is imported into the PostGIS database by osm2pgsql. So I'm
wondering how you achieved this multilingual rendering.
Using the hstore we have an indexed column, containing all tags with all values from the main osm db.

Peter