maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [OSM-talk] [HOT] Fw: Disaster Preparedness Project

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [OSM-talk] [HOT] Fw: Disaster Preparedness Project
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:40:36 -0700

Hi,

* Samuel Mandell <address@hidden> [2011-06-10 00:14:15]:

> This is close. The only paper size option I get is "Best fit" which in this
> case is (64 x 127.1 cm2) which is pretty big. What the project needs is
> being able to select a page size like A4 or A6 (or just decide on one) and
> then divide the map into chunks of that size. The other part is having the
> index be on separate pages. This increases the complexity in two ways:
>
>    1. You have to now lay out the map on A4 sized chunks and then split them
>    up. This will mean that you'll get a little extra of the map than you need
>    2. The index will need a new dimension which is the page. So the index of
>    a street would be page, x-axis, y-axis

Just a note on paper size. When we developped the upcoming version of
MapOSMatic (currently at dev.m.o), we struggled to get this paper size
thing right. The problem is that we need at least zoom 16 to get a
meaningful level of detail (99% of street names, POIs, etc) using the
default OSM stylesheet. And at that zoom level, a full map for an
average size city is big, that's all. Try putting it on A4 or even A3,
and it will be unreadable.

If you try to render smaller sections, you'll get more paper size
choices, like A4 or A5 for example, with the appropriate level of detail
and readability.

For booklets, the problem does not exist. We just settle on a booklet
size, A5 for example, and add pages as needed to complete the grid
covering the area chosen for rendering. So bottomline this paper size
"issue" (if it is one) really only applies to poster maps.

- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''