maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem

From: Jeroen van Rijn
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 00:39:27 +0200

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 00:19, Thomas Petazzoni
<address@hidden> wrote:
> The layouts are implemented in OcitySMap, the stylesheets are managed
> by OcitySMap, and the paper sizes are defiend in OcitySMap. MapOSMatic
> is merely a web client for OcitySMap, all the logic (rendering layouts,
> Mapnik stylesheets, paper sizes that are suitable for a given
> rendering) is implemented in OcitySMap.

Oh, I realise this. I'm just wondering if the translation for e.g.
"OpenStreetMap stylesheet" might not be supplied to ocitysmap on the
commandline for use in the footer. One way or another both need to
know about what stylesheets, layouts and paper sizes exist, but it
occurs to me that the rendering logic in ocitysmap likely doesn't care
how they're named as long as it knows them.

So if ocitysmap knew the stylesheet as just 'osm' and knew where to
find it, and in addition to that maposmatic knew the stylesheet 'osm'
existed but also had translations for the human friendly name, then:

./ocitysmap2-render -t "Ceci n'est pas Paris" --osmid=-943886
--stylesheet=osm --stylesheet-friendly="OpenStreetMap stylesheet"

where the latter parameter is translated by maposmatic.

One way or the other both need to know about the same stylesheets, one
to render, the other to allow for selection in the front-end.

What I'm suggesting is that ocitysmap has no particular attachment to
the human friendly name of the stylesheet, it would render the map
just fine if that was supplied to it on the command-line (falling back
to the English/default name from ocitysmap2.conf if
--stylesheet-friendly isn't supplied.

This way that translation could be moved to MapOSMatic, where it's
needed. My apologies if this was unclear in the previous email.

Regards,
Jeroen

--
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA[Start]