maposmatic-dev

[Maposmatic-dev] MapOSMatic is back!

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Maposmatic-dev] MapOSMatic is back!
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 08:00:38 +0100

Good news everyone: MapOSMatic (http://www.maposmatic.org/) is back!

Several months ago, our copy of the OSM database started to have major
issues and got corrupted, unfortunately beyond recovery. We needed to
re-import the full database. At the same time, we were having
performance issues with the OSM data replication because the
traditional, rotational the hard drive of the database server was not
fast enough and we couldn't keep up with the rate of updates to the
OSM database. And last but not least, OSM was changing its license
which had a strong impact on the data in our database too of course!

Therefore "The Plan" was to move our database server to a new machine
that had SSD drives and import on this fast database server a fresh
copy of the OSM database. As you probably discovered, it took us much
more time than we originally planned. ;-)

Today, we are very pleased to announce that the new database server is
now up and running and it is fast! MapOSMatic is back on and once
again available to the OSM community! :) And a big thank you to the
FSF France for giving us access to a powerful server to host our OSM
database.

Please enjoy our service!

We have a lot of queued jobs since the summer that the rendering
pipeline is now processing. It will take a few days before all of them
are processed, but rest assured the server is working hard to catch up
:) We will make sure to send a note when the queue is empty and new
renderings can be processed as soon as they are submitted.

-- The whole MapOSMatic team (with a special thanks to Maxime that
does all the admin stuff!)