masterlibre-list

[Masterlibre-list] Some info about GET involvement in Free/open Content

From: Eric Cousin
Subject: [Masterlibre-list] Some info about GET involvement in Free/open Content education
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:59:47 +0100

Hi,

Here is a brief introduction on what's we are doing in the forementionned field.

First of all, some info about our institution, the GET (Groupe des Ecoles de Télécommunication - http://www.get-telecom.fr/en_accueil.html). The GET is the main french institution for research in the field of Information Technology, and the largest french center for training engineers in telecommunications (over 1000 graduates per year, and 400 research-lecturers in the staff). Please note that we are not training engineers in Computer Science, but in Telecommunication ; Computer Science is therefore only a (not so small, though) part of student's concern [There are nevertheless some third'year specializations in C.S.]
The GET is made up of several French Grandes Ecoles :
   Telecom Paris (http//www.enst.fr), located in... Paris
   ENST Bretagne (http://www.enst-bretagne.fr), located in Brest and Rennes
   INT (http://www.int-evry.fr), located in Evry, few kilometers from Paris
   Enic-Telecom (http://www.enic.fr) in Lille
   EURECOM (http://www.eurecom.fr), at Sophia-Antipolis (French Riviera)

I'm personnally working at ENST Bretagne, in Brest, but we are quite a bunch of people from Telecom Paris, INT and ENST Bretagne working together in the Free/Open Content field.

As far as teaching 'Free/Open Content' topics is concerned, we already have many different modules/courses running : +) Most of them are technical and related to Computer Science (languages, system, network, security... --- put here your own favorite topic ---.), as it is the case in many other schools/universities. I think there's nothing special to say here. +) More interestingly, as we are ourselves from different disciplines, we also tackle this concern from other points of view : sociology, economics (how to make business with open content), methodology (collaborative work, distributed software engineering, Xtreme programming...), law (licence, Intellectual Property Rights). I think that this is too often missed when building a new cursus around Free/Openness. And it is probably the way we could best contribute to MoLOS

Our "problem" is that we have no cursus entirely dedicated to such a theme. All these courses/modules are spread out through the different cursus and, even if wanted, it would be very difficult for one of our students to follow all of these Openness/Freeness related courses.

Another way we could contribute to MoLOS could be through localisation of teaching resources. For instance, we've seen several [spanish written] documents available at Open Univ of Cataluña web site : perhaps we could translate some of them ?

Eric

Eric COUSIN,   Professor Assistant in Computer Science   Tel. +33 2 29 00 10 64
ENST Bretagne - Technopôle Brest Iroise Fax + 33 2 29 00 12 82
CS 83818 - 29238 BREST Cedex 3, FRANCE  - Email address@hidden
------------------- http://www-info.enst-bretagne.fr/~cousin/cousin.html ---------------------