masterlibre-list

[Masterlibre-list] On gender issues in Free Software

From: Anne Østergaard
Subject: [Masterlibre-list] On gender issues in Free Software
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 15:36:57 +0200

On gender issues in Free Software

Hi

It seems that the Free- and Open Source Software community is debating
this serious "male mono culture issue" after this report has been
published:

"The report states that there is 1½ % women active in the FLOSS
community.

That about 80 % of the women have felt discrimination-

but on the other hand, some 80 % of the guys claim that they have not
been discriminating women.

The report also found that women are being (unconsciously) excluded!"

My very brief resume.

I recommend that you as teachers of informatics read the whole report.

http://www.flosspols.org/deliverables/FLOSSPOLS-D16-Gender_Integrated_Report_of_Findings.pdf,
and the recommendations here,
http://www.flosspols.org/deliverables/FLOSSPOLS-D17-Gender_Policy_Recommendations.pdf.

Hanna 's  FOSDEM slides are (finally!) online here,
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~hmw26/talks/fosdem2006.pdf.

The illustrative grafs are in Hanna's FOSDEM slides.( It only takes 5
minutes to read them.)

I am having a presentation at GUADEC in June 2006 on Women in Free
Software.

Abstract:
Women in Free Software

Are women in FLOSS considered as bugs, groupies, or equal partners in
there field of skills?

"Most discrimination of all kinds is utterly unintentional, and that
kind of discrimination is harder to tackle because there is no evil
intent and no-one to directly blame. It still needs tackling and that is
in part about making people understand when their culture and actions
put off or exclude others." Allan Cox.

A lively debate is on going on this list: address@hidden at
the moment: Key words "Code of conduct" and "Women in GNOME"

Kind regards

Anne