mediagoblin-devel

Re: Redis or RabbitMQ?

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Re: Redis or RabbitMQ?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 11:52:48 +1000

Hi jgart,

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021, jgart wrote:

> What has mediagoblin mostly been tested with in production, Redis or
> RabbitMQ?
>
> Do we want to package RabbitMQ for Guix?
>
> The reason I ask is because the guix shepherd service can be
> configured to offer a choice between Redis or RabbitMQ.

RabbitMQ is more widely used, but I've had no issues with Redis in my
testing. In theory, since these are both supported backends for Celery,
there shouldn't be any difference. From MediaGoblin's perspective, it's
only a one-line change in the mediagoblin.ini config file.

  [celery]
  BROKER_URL = "redis://"

My feeling is that it would be better for move ahead with Redis to keep
the momentum going, rather than block while working on RabbitMQ
packaging, which I suspect won't be trivial.

Just to help coordinate our efforts, the three places I'm tracking info
on the packaging efforts are:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/mediagoblin.git/tree/guix-env.scm
  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47260
  https://gitlab.com/BenSturmfels/mediagoblin-guix/-/blob/master/README.md