mediagoblin-devel

Re: esbuild for bundling mediagoblin's js deps

From: jgart
Subject: Re: esbuild for bundling mediagoblin's js deps
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 00:36:43 -0400

On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 14:13:35 +1000 Ben Sturmfels <ben@sturm.com.au> wrote:
> Hi jgart,
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2021, jgart wrote:
>
> > WDYT of bundling mediagoblin's current javascript dependencies with esbuild
> > instead of using bower to manage them?
>
> This could be useful, though esbuild and bower do different jobs. Bower
> is used only to obtain the packages from NPM (see bower.json), so adding
> esbuild wouldn't directly allow us to remove Bower. We'd need to "vendor
> in" these dependencies into the MediaGoblin codebase, or use NPM
> directly to allow us to remove bower.

I forgot to add that we would pull down the deps first with the npm that's
provided by the node package that is in guix.

> Minifying may shrink the download somewhat, since we're currently using
> the non-minified versions. Alternatively we could switch to using the
> minified versions with many NPM packages also distribute.
>
> Bundling JS files together is much less benefit under HTTP 2 than it was
> under HTTP 1.1, and can in some cases reduce performance and prevent
> caching individual JS assets, meaning that changes to any JS requires
> re-downloading the whole bundle.
>
> Overall I suggest we look at this after we have an initial working
> package.

Ok, sounds good. Just some thoughts that we can go back to if it makes sense
in the future to use esbuild.

all best,

/ 3B1D 7F19 E36B B60C 0F5B 2CA9 A52A A2B4 \
\ 77B6 DD35                               /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||