mibble-users

Re: [Mibble-users] parsing when there is no root symbol

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Mibble-users] parsing when there is no root symbol
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 19:40:16 +0100

In SMIv1 it was common practice to declare at top OID for each MIB as the first value symbol. In SMIv2 one should really declare a MODULE-IDENTITY instead.

The Mibble to for Mib.getRootSymbol() attempts to be clever by traversing the OID tree upwards from the first symbol found in the MIB. This way, the ordering of the symbols in the MIB file doesn't matter. But it is still assumed that there is a single root node declared in the same MIB. See the source code here:

https://github.com/cederberg/mibble/blob/master/src/java/net/percederberg/mibble/Mib.java#L575

Now, if you just want all values in the MIB, you can always use getAllSymbols() instead. Or use the OID tree to detect that there are multiple "root node" in this MIB at the same level. The OID tree is always populated all the way back to the iso(1) root, thanks to imported MIBs.

BTW. If you're working on the OID tree, there will be a few new utility methods in the upcoming 2.10 version. You can find an alpha version in the development download area:

http://www.mibble.org/download/development/index.html

Hope this helps! Cheers,

/Per