mit-scheme-devel

Re: get-environment-variables fails with error in MIT Scheme 11.2

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: get-environment-variables fails with error in MIT Scheme 11.2
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:30:06 +0000

> Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 08:39:13 +0000
> From: Sam Lee <samlee746@yahoo.com>
>
> The "get-environment-variables" procedure appears to be broken in MIT
> Scheme 11.2.
>
>     1 ]=> (get-environment-variables)
>
>     ;The procedure
>     ;To continue, call RESTART with an option number:
>     ; (RESTART 1) => Return to read-eval-print level 1.
>
>     2 error>
>
> Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Bug -- I backported a change to the release-11 branch but it depended
on another change I neglected to backport, sorry.  Should be fixed
now, and there's an automatic test which will catch this now.

The error message was broken because the error occurred while holding
the OS environment lock, which get-environment-variable also takes,
which is used in the printer to print the procedure (specifically, to
look up MITSCHEME_INF_DIRECTORY to find where debug data might be
stored).  Not sure there's an easy way to improve that, so I'll just
leave it at fixing the bug in get-environment-variables.