mit-scheme-users

Re: Disable REPL debugger

From: Tim Lee
Subject: Re: Disable REPL debugger
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 08:35:59 +0000

> I think Common Lisp has standard-error-hook; I would have copied that
> over in the original design. The rest is just an abort with a suitable
> message.

It's called *debugger-hook* in Common Lisp. HyperSpec documentation:
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw50/CLHS/Body/v_debugg.htm

> In any case, it seems weird to me that you don't want the debugger.
> Once that condition has aborted it's no longer accessible.

I usually program with a text editor (Vim) on the left of my screen,
and an REPL on the right. Whenever I need to test a snippet of code in
the REPL, I select the relevant snippet in the buffer of the text
editor, and press some keys to "send" the selection to the REPL. I stay
in the text editor's buffer at all times.

Sometimes, the snippet I send will contain bad code, and result in an
error in the REPL. If the reason for the error is obvious, I will simply
fix the relevant parts in the text editor and re-send the snippet to the
REPL. In this workflow, I see no need to be interrupted by the REPL's
debugger when the reason for the error is obvious.

Only in cases where the error is not obvious, I will leave the text
editor's buffer and go into the REPL to use the debugger to find the
problem.

I have a feeling that my workflow is probably not the "MIT Scheme way".
How exactly is MIT Scheme designed to be used?