Re: additional feature for monit-3.0 (for clusters)

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: additional feature for monit-3.0 (for clusters)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:35:14 +0100

Christian Hopp wrote:

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

Agree - some suggestions?
A though one, a new name :-) If we do not find a good name (I'm
blank), we could combine, that is, use automonitor and autostart and
set the value properly in the parser, i.e. override the value of
autostart if it's true. (and document this behavior)

BTW, using monit together with heartbeat is interesting, do you
think you could write a FAQ or man file entry for this Oliver? (When
we figure out what the statement should be)

I am kinda confused about all that... maybe it's simply to high level
for me... no peeking and poking the system.  So could some one give me
a short reason/explanation... why we should do all these many
confusing "set auto.*" things.

Couldn't it be integrated in the set autostart?  What about
"set autostart=[yes|no|manual]"?  As Hauk already mentioned... we
shouldn't bloat the language.  With that we won't even have the
problem with the "xor" thing.

Christian

Not bad, but i thing it is not clear enough. If we still would change the name for 'autostart' statement, the only name that occures in my mind is maybe:

'mode [ active | passive | manual ] '

where 'mode' is statement keyword (replacement for 'autostart') and:

active ... in this mode monit will watch the process and will restart it if it doesn't exist (equals present autostart=yes) passive ... monit will start monitoring process but it doesn't do restart if it doesn't exist ((equals present autostart=no) manual ... monit will enter 'active' mode after instructed to start this service, otherwise it woun't monitor this service at all

I'm not sure if it will solve this problem - maybe it will be better to keep 'autostart' as mentioned Christian. What about it?

Martin