Re: configuration patch - final version

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: configuration patch - final version
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 22:40:26 +0100

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden Behalf Of
Martin Pala
Sent: 11. februar 2003 21:43
To: The monit developer list

Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

So all our remaining tasks are done according to the monit 3.2 release plan,

Yet one remains - to add Oliver's documentation for monit+heartbeat. I
can add it if needed too :)

Yes, please! I'll buy you a beer if I visit Czech one day :-)

OK :)

I propose that we test
the system a few days and release it this Friday, if everything is
okay. Agree?
Agree

Okay, Friday it is.

I was thinking about Olivier's proposal about writing the state to a
"state-file". I suggest that we simply write the processlist to a
binary file
It will be probably the simplest way to do it. Maybe it will be suitable
to use ASN.1 BER rules to encode runtime structures into binary form -
it defines standard method for encoding/decoding structured data into
binary format and it will be easier than XML parser (however XML file is
more user-friendly for edit :)

Much easier than XML, I was simply thinking about using something ala

for(p= processlist; p; p= p->next)
        fwrite(p, 1, sizeof *(p), binaryfile);

I have never heard of ASN.1 BER rules, do you have an URL?

It is widely used in SNMP, LDAP and SSL for data for transmision. It is usualy sufficient to use only subset of these rules (depends on the needs). It is suitable for storing structured data directly into key-value database (for example berkeley db) as well. You can read about it for example here:

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/X.690_1297.pdf

Cheers,
Martin