Re: plans

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: plans
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:39:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Martin Pala wrote:

> I think maybe we can save some configuration file size and make it
> more clear, if we'll use syntaz as following:

That's how I think too!

We could also make global methods.

> check ...
>   # method definition section
>   method start "/etc/init.d/apache start" exec on { start }
>   method stop "/etc/init.d/apache start" exec on { stop }

With the shortcuts:

   start "/foo/bar"
   stop  "/foo/bar"

>   method reload "kill -HUP $MONIT_PROGRAM_PID"
>   method shutdown "/sbin/shutdown -t 1 bye, bye"
>   method foo "/bin/xzz -option 1 ... -option N  argument1.. argumentN"
>   method bar "/bin/xyz -option 1 ... -option N
>                          argument1.. argumentN" exec on {
>                                 timeout, restart, checksum, resource }
>   # tests definition section
>   if timestamp /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf was changed then exec reload
>   if cpu usage > 80% then exec foo
>   if cpu usage > 99% then exec shutdown

What do you think,

   if cpu > 90% then exec method1, method2, method3

makes sense, too?  Our language could handle it.

> It separates method definition and allows to use different methods
> for different condition "levels" of events (see last two lines of
> above example). You can then make different actions for the same
> event appropriate to situation.

Sound much more logic.  And the language is much more consistent.

(...)

> I didn't though about implementation, so it probably could be lot of
> work (redesigning present start/stop program system).

We have to keep the "old" start/stop language as a shortcut!  But the
language implementation is peanuts, the intelligence part in the
background is more work.

> I thing it isn't needed in such case to change present alert
> statement (exec could be standalone list).

We should keep present alert features, too.

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113