Re: environment variables

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: environment variables
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:10:55 +0200

Christian Hopp wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Martin Pala wrote:

I think it will be usefull to extend execution environment list (in spawn.c) by:

MONIT_EVENT
MONIT_SERVICE

and

MONIT_ACTION (will be described in the proposal)

What do you think?

* Event?  It is the "method" like "start", "stop"...?

We discussed the general event driven model, where all events were mapped by default to method names, but later we "slowed down". Present event is subset of proposed model and it is choice of (alert.c):

#define DO_TIMEOUT   0
#define DO_RESTART   1
#define DO_CHECKSUM  2
#define DO_RESOURCE  3
#define DO_STOP      4
#define DO_FAILED    5
#define DO_TIMESTAMP 6

It could be, that the implementation will be close to the original proposal (which wasn't very realistic because of development resources) and events will comprise all "events" (like 'start', etc.) - we will see :)

* What about MONIT_REPORT... the message generated for the mail?

I'm more inclined to give the application in environment only informations which will be needed. Application then could create the same message itself (monit's report contains just compilation of the same information with lot of 'user-friendly' words - i think it is not needed to give complete form of the message to method).

In case service is a device or filesystem, we need MONIT_FS_FREE,
MONIT_INODE_FREE,...

Agree

Generally: +1

CHopp