monit and grsecurity

From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
Subject: monit and grsecurity
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:15:17 +0200

Monit disables some very usefull checkings when /proc/kcore is not available.
/proc/kcore is not available on:

- 2.4 with grsecurity
+CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_HIDESYM
+  3) You have the additional /proc restrictions enabled, which removes
+     /proc/kcore

- 2.6 on some architectures like ARM

http://lwn.net/Articles/46158/

        After reviewing the /proc/kcore and kclist issues, I've decided that
I'm no longer prepared to even _think_ about supporting /proc/kcore on ARM -
it just gets too ugly, and adds too much code to make it worth the effort,
the time or the energy to implement a solution to that problem.

        /proc/kcore should probably go away, but in the meantime this just
allows ARM to ignore the issues.

Linus also suggested to remove /proc/kcore in 2.6.

I suggest adding /proc/meminfo parsing (from ie. procps) to check how many ram
we have instead of stating /proc/kcore before 4.0 release (which I'm willing
to test btw).

Thanks!
--
Arkadiusz Miƛkiewicz    CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PLD/Linux