htpasswd [Re: Features...]

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: htpasswd [Re: Features...]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:30:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> >>3) Auth via htpasswd...
> >>
> >>   auth /path [user, ...]
> >>
> >>   where "path" is the fq path it the corresponding htpasswd and
> >>   "user" is a user grant access.  If user is omitted all users do have
> >>   access.
> >>
> > This can be usefull :)

It's gonna be tricky...

The htpasswd file stores the password in MD5/crypt/cleartext.
 Q: shall we support any other then cleartext?
  => We cannot use any of these users for the monit cli program.  We "have
     to" transmit the base64 encoded cleartext pwd.
  Solution 1: We do require at least one "system user credential" with
              cleartext pwd in monitrc.
  Solution 2: We do move to Digest Authorization (->HTTP/1.1)... a little
              bit more complicated... it uses MD5 digests:
                     http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/rfc2617.txt
  Solution 3: We do only support htpasswd with cleantext pwds.

By now monit supports only one user credential.
 Q: shall we support from now on more then one user?

Opinions?

CHopp

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113