Re: comments from freshmeat

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: comments from freshmeat
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:47:03 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>>> It would be nice to have a possibility to spawn non-daemons as well -
>>> exactly like init does.
>>>

>> That said, if we can keep the current flexibility but in addition add
>> configure options so monit (if so wanted) can "replace" the sys. init
>> system and the need for monit to know a process pid file, I'm for
>> it. But it's not something I feel is important since monit works fine
>> either way already (dosn't it?).
>>

> You could sort of do this now, as a hack, you just wouldn't get the order
> correct. Perhaps adding an order to parsing would fix this.
>
> Something like
>
> start foo with nopid
> order 23

Yes, maybe it could be that easy, at least in the config file. Behind
the scene it will require a bit of a refactoring in spawn.c and monit
must do child-processes "accounting". But for my part I don't think
it's important to do this change just so one does not have to state
the pid-file. The bottom line in the request is just that; not to have
to state the pid-file. (Spawning non-daemons could be done from monit
already by using a wrapper script to create the pid file as mentioned
in the faq). But, okay, I see the point in the ease of use by not
having to state a pid-file for programs that does not create a
pid-file.  If we should vote on this request my vote would be 0.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland