Re: Reverse proxy support

From: Josh Kelley
Subject: Re: Reverse proxy support
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:54:04 -0500

On 2/2/07, Martin Pala <address@hidden> wrote:
support added and tested ...

Thanks :)
Martin

Thanks for adding this!

I realized after I submitted the patch that I missed the
start/stop/restart/(un)monitor buttons in cervlet.c, but I see that
you fixed that.

The sample configuration that I provided didn't handle redirects
properly.  Here's a better one:
<Location /monit/>
   ProxyPass http://localhost:2812/
   ProxyPassReverse /
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName sysadmin
   AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwd
   require valid-user
</Location>

Although the ProxyPassReverse line shouldn't really be needed since
you made redirects completely relative (by removing the leading /).

I think that there may be problems with the redirect handling.
According to the HTTP standard (RFC 2616 section 14.30), redirects
must be absolute (i.e., including the http://hostname/).  Similarly,
do_redirect's comments indicate that the URL must be absolute.
Redirects are not absolute with Monit 4.8.2 (which redirected using
URLs with leading /s) or in CVS (which redirects using URLs without
leading /s), but relative redirects seems to work anyway.  I don't
know if it's worth fixing this right now to make it
standards-compliant.  (I don't see a way to determine the absolute URL
to use in all circumstances without tracking the Host: parameter of
the HTTP request and/or tracking which interface the request was
received on.)

Thanks.

Josh Kelley