Re: monit features

From: Will Bryant
Subject: Re: monit features
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:31:40 +1300

How big a task were you after?  There's heaps of things I'd love to see, in particular:
  1. Make the report messages more informative - at present you get the same error for quite a number of different conditions.  For example, if you have an HTTP protocol test and the server starts giving 500 errors, it will be reported as "connection failed" even though the connection was just fine and the HTTP request and response were fine from a protocol perspective - we need to have separate errors for all the different things going wrong (eg. DNS lookup failed, connection failed, HTTP protocol error, HTTP response code was an error, etc.).  I believe there's already some of the architectural support needed for this in the codebase, but the email reporting code isn't using it yet.
  2. Improve the reporting architecture such that when checking log files if a bunch of matching lines show up they all get reported in one email - last time I checked I found that if you have 100 matching lines you get 100 emails, not good for a number of applications.
  3. Implement support for running custom scripts and reporting what they spit out if they return with an error code.
- but they're not particularly small :).

Thanks,
Will