Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone implementation language

From: graydon hoare
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone implementation language
Date: 23 Apr 2003 13:41:27 -0400

Sebastien Pierre <address@hidden> writes:

> This maybe like a rather pointless remark, but I found that Monotone
> dependency on boost and other libraries is rather annoying :/

I'm sorry that you find it annoying. I always worry about which
language to work in, but I think C++ was the right choice for this
program.

you should be able to port it with little more than a darwin target
cross toolchain. if it manages to link, it is probably ported. if you
have trouble porting the libraries, I will certainly try to help.

> Don't you consider using a different language for Monotone
> development (like a scripting language, or something more dynamic) ?
> What was the motivation with choosing C++ as the implementation
> language for Monotone ?

the main motivations are:

- library code
- static linking
- safety technologies
- stack discipline
- minimal obscurity

most other languages fall down on one or more of these points.

-graydon