[Monotone-devel] arch web pages

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: [Monotone-devel] arch web pages
Date: 19 Aug 2003 13:55:12 -0600

I looked at the arch web pages a little.  There are a couple
interesting things there.

    http://arch.fifthvision.net/bin/view/Arx/GccHackers

This is a requirements list for a future gcc revision control system.
It is probably pretty close to gcc consensus (if that exists).

I think monotone can do most of this already.  I'm not so sure about
how repeated merges work in monotone.  And the
auto-ChangeLog-generation feature would need some new code -- but the
nice thing about monotone is that this can be done by writing a
separate tool and running it from a lua hook.

    http://arch.fifthvision.net/bin/view

This has a link to the gcc wish list, but also a couple for the linux
kernel.  There are also some comparisons against other tools; some of
these are interesting, some less so.

I've talked to Graydon a bit about merging.  I suppose these different
things in arch -- star-merge, replay -- are just different ways of
deciding how to apply patches when merging.  I think that could all be
done, in theory.

Does monotone handle file permissions and symlinks well?  Those are
actually useful to handle.

Tom